Saturday, March 13, 2010

Another Great Day

Today was another day packed full of new information, thoughts for contemplation, and meeting and interacting with an amazingly diverse group of people. During the 2nd session I attended, titled “Teaching Without Speaking” I was very excited to see that the speaker, Luby Ismail, was a fellow Lesley graduate from the Intercultural Relations program. Her presentation did not disappoint. It was truly an “ah-ha” moment to see how nonverbal exercises can so beautifully and clearly make a statement, and bring across a point, in a way that verbal exercises, perhaps, can not.

Today’s luncheon talk, given by Mona Eltahawy, was also a high-point of the day. Her talk was a combination of inspiring, educational, humorous, and relevant which made it a pleasure to listen to, leaving me with quite a few thoughts to ponder and further explore. Her rich illustrations and examples of the use of technology in giving people a forum to voice their opinions and advocate for change truly demonstrated how the “virtual” translates into the real world. One comment that particularly resonated was her question “since when has the majority changed anything?” It is all too easy to become jaded and forget the power we hold as individuals and I appreciated the reminder as I leave the academic world and begin my professional career.

At the end of the day, looking through my small notebook, I realize that I have a very long list of websites, organizations, films, and various resources to explore and incorporate into my own intercultural practice. I’m so grateful that I was given the opportunity to attend this conference and collect such a rich body of information and resources.

I left the conference energized and excited to see where this year takes me. Looking forward to next year already and another selection of wonderful speakers. Until then!

No comments: