Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pre-conference Interactive Workshop

On Wednesday I attended an all-day interactive workshop which kicked off my participation in the IMI 11th Annual Conference. I was so excited to be offered the opportunity to attend the workshop as part of my scholarship award! The session was packed with valuable interactive and experiential exercises, where fellow participants and I practiced new methods of training and adult learning based on Thiagi's Interactive Lectures.

The presenters, Judee Blohm and Chuck Needlman, began the session by asking the attendees to draw a map of the world, and identify where we were born. Initially, we weren't sure exactly how big it should be, but we all quickly got out of your seats, walked towards the blackboard along the side wall, and drew a map. The end result was one of the funniest maps I'd ever seen drawn by a group of adults! There was a great spirit of playfulness to open up our workshop. It was also nice that the USA wasn't in the center of things! We joked about blurred boundaries, and oddly shaped countries. This initial activity created a convivial atmosphere amongst everybody almost immediately. Listening to each participant's story was a great way to find out about each other and it was an excellent ice breaker that I'll plan to use in my training and workshop designs.

We began a series of interactive exercises that were designed to create a feeling of connectedness amongst folks in a diverse group. Most activities gave the participants a strong imprint in the collaboration process, enabling them to feel completely engaged. Throughout the day, Chuck and Judee conducted a debrief of each exercise, explaining the benefits, and potential pitfalls.
Being in the role of a participant enabled me to learn some new things about myself. I experienced first hand what it felt like to have someone in my group that wasn't being inclusive, and it made me feel uncomfortable. The experience allowed me to empathize with participants who for one reason or another might not have the same level of comfort as others or might be feeling marginalized. Improving my own level of self-awareness will enhance my skills as a trainer and learning facilitator.

The session ended with a concise recap of the activities from Judee, along with a debrief of the scope and goals of the exercises used from Thiagi's book. I left the class with a renewed sense of respect and appreciation for all the rich resources that Thiagi has given to our intercultural community. Judee and Chuck did an outstanding job with this workshop.

No comments: