Thursday, March 11, 2010

Reflections on Day 1

I was really excited to attend this conference today. As a student in a master's program in management with a focus on professional communication, I realize that I still have a lot to learn about intercultural communication. Today served as a great introduction into the field and I am looking forward to not only what I will learn tomorrow but all of the many things that I can pursue independently after this conference. I would like to find ways to incorporate what I learn at this conference into my graduate studies since my program does not focus too much in this area of knowledge.

It has been very rewarding to be around so many experts in the field. While I have tried to participate in the conversations during my sessions, I have found myself taking a more passive role so that I can listen and take it all in. I have so much to learn. At the same time, I found that I know more than I think I do when it comes to the nuances and customs of other countries, but also how very important it is to be culturally aware when it comes to navigating the workplace and establishing relationships with international business partners.

One of the highlights of today was the keynote speaker, Fons Trompenaars. He was not only humorous and kept my interest, but I really enjoyed the exercise he gave us regarding making a decision based on integrity and cultural standards. I was particularly happy to hear him say (to paraphrase) that diversity trainings fail when people are afraid to include humor in the dialogue.

I am looking forward to what tomorrow brings!

No comments: